Jeffery T. Wack
New Haven, CT and
New York City, NY, USA
Ph.D. Yale University, research/applied
Awarded 5-year full fellowship.
Multivariate assessment of the
interaction of attributions, emotions, and behaviors
problem encounters in service organizations.
Dissertation Committee: Judith Rodin, currently president
of the Rockefeller Foundation; Irving Janis (Groupthink),
Gerald Singer (TV effects on children), Robert Abelson
(Cognitive script theory), Dennis Turk (Stress and
Coursework: Multivariate statistics, research design, attitudes and behavior. In Yale School of Business, marketing, policy, and decision making.
||M.Phil. Yale University.
||M.S. Yale University.
||B.S. Duke University.
Concentrations: Psychology, Biochemistry and Political
Honors: Magna cum laude, and with distinction.
||Urbana (IL) High School
||Njala University International Middle
School, Sierra Leone, West Africa
||Home-Schooled via Calvert School system,
Sierra Leone, West Africa
|| President, JTWack & Company LLC.
||Professor of Marketing, Teacher's College, Columbia University. Co-teach Strategic Marketing in Klingenstein Master's in Education Degree program.
Graduate Marketing Faculty, Yale University. Taught and wrote on
the topic of managing demand for non-profits' services by coordinating program design, pricing, promotion, and distribution strategies.
Special Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer,
Yale-New Haven Hospital.
Led the institution's initiative to adopt strategic marketing. Among many other projects, led a cross-functional team that developed and executed a communications campaign in support of the launch of a new Children's Hospital; the project won a juried award for excellence from the American Hospital Association. Simultaneously guided the COO in upgrading the marketing function and resources, and advised on the design of a new vice president position to oversee it.
Senior Research Analyst, Consumer
Pioneered large (100,000+) sample survey methods
for purpose of measuring differences in consumers'
satisfaction among brands within specific product/service
|1979 & 1976
Department of Health, Education,
& Welfare, Washington DC.
National Center for Health Care Technology, USPHS
1979. Authored speeches for Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA)
and Representative Henry Waxman (D-CA) on the social
and behavioral consequences of the adoption of new
Office of the Surgeon General, 1976. Interned as
member of team evaluating long term care programs.
Subsequently wrote policy journal article on the human
consequences of legislated environments.
Boards and Trustee Roles
- AISAP Certification Advisory Council (2015-), advising on curriculum for admissions professionals certification courses.
- Executive Committee, TABS' North American Boarding Initiative (NABI), 2014-2015.
- Trustee, ASSIST (American Secondary Schools for International Students and Teachers) (2012-), a non-profit that provides one-year scholarships to outstanding international students to attend American independent secondary schools on scholarships.
- Search Committee for National Association of Independent Schools President (2011-2013 )
- Executive Committee and Board of Directors, National
Association of Independent Schools (2005-2011)
- Chair, Entrepreneurial Task Force (2005-2009): Led creation of a for-profit division generating $12 million in revenues; negotiated acquisition; hired CEO and introduced 5-person field sales force
- Chair, Member Services Committee (2006-2011): Completed overhaul and introduction of membership categories, pricing, and services; oversight of member recruitment and retention, new product development.
- Service on Governance, and Finance, committees
- Acclaimed by the president as “the board’s strategist”, by the chair as “tenacious”
- Executive Committee, Tweed-New Haven Airport Authority (1999-2004)
- Appointed by Regional Council of Governments
- Completed multi-year design of, and obtained FAA and State funding for, airport master plan
- Board of Directors, Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce
- Chair, Air Service Development Committee: Led recruiting of airline service, including introduction of United Airline jet service to Chicago; Volunteer of the Year, 1995
- Board of Directors, Technology Investment Fund (1984-87)
- EFFIE for Use of Research in Developing and Evaluating a Print Campaign, American Marketing Association (New York), 1996. For creation of Memorial Sloan-Kettering's "Best Cancer Care. Anywhere." tagline and campaign, in partnership with McCann-Erickson.
- Volunteer of the Year,
Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce, 1995. (Led successful
recruitment of United Airlines and other carriers to Tweed-New
Haven Regional Airport.)
- Touchstone Award, Research
& Planning, American Hospital Association, 1994. (Launch
of Yale-New Haven's Children's Hospital)
- Heavy Hitter, Speaking
Award from Council for the Advancement of Secondary Education,
1992 and others.
- NATO Fellowship, Cambridge University,
1978. (To attend behavioral science research conference.)
Wack, Jeffery T. - Marketing
101. Lead chapter in the Handbook for
Marketing Independent Schools, National Association of Independent
Schools, Washington DC, 2011.
Wack, Jeffery T. - The
Marketing Perspective on Affordability and Demand. In Affordability
and Demand: Financial Sustainability for Independent Schools,
Washington DC: NAIS, 2009. Click here to read chapter II Managing Value: The Marketing Perspective on Affordability and Demand.
Gombeski, W.R., Wise, A., Wack,
J. T., McIntyre, S. and Perkins, A. Ready, Aim, Interview
– A New Study Analyzes Target Survey Audiences. Marketing
Health Services 25(3):41-43, 2005.
William R Gombeski, R Kyle Kramer,
Lisa Freed, JoAnne Foody, Janet Parkosewich, Tammi Wilson,
Jeffery T Wack, Gail D'Onofrio - Women's Heart Advantage
Program: The Impact 3 Years Later The Journal of Cardiovascular
Management, 2005, 16(4):27-34.
Gombeski, William R. Jr., Kantor,
David, Bendycki, Nadine A. and Wack, Jeffery T.
Improve Your Marketing Effectiveness and Net Income
through Better Prospecting, Health Marketing Quarterly,
Vol. 19(4), 2002, 3-19.
Wack, Jeffery T.
What Marketing Should Be, Marketing Independent Schools
in the 21st Century, Washington DC: NAIS, 2001, 19-28.
Wack, Jeffery T. and Gombeski,
William R. Jr.
Contemporary Marketing in health care, Yale Management Guide
for Physicians. Stephen Rimar (Ed.), New York: John Wiley
& Sons, 1999.
Wack, Jeffery T.
Health Care Marketing Research, Connecticut health care,
Wack, Jeffery T. and Permut, Steven.
Using Marketing Research in Litigation. Marketing
Handbook: Marketing Management (Vol. II), Edwin E. Bobrow
and Mark David Bobrow (Eds.), New York: Dow-Jones Irwin,
Rodin, J., Wack, J.T., Ferrannini,
E., and DeFronzo, R.A.
Effect of Insulin and Glucose on Feeding Behavior,
Metabolism, 1985, 826-831.
Turk, D.T., Wack, J.T., and Kerns,
An Empirical Examination of the "Pain Behavior"
Construct, Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 1984, 119-130.
Wack, Jeffery T. and Turk, Dennis.
Latent Structure in Strategies for Coping with Pain, Health
Psychology, 1984, 3, 27-43.
Wack, Jeffery T. and Rodin, Judith.
Smoking and its Effects on Body Weight and the Systems of
Calorie Regulation, American Journal of Nutrition, 1982,
35, 366- 380.
Rodin, J., Bohm, L., and Wack,
Control, Coping, and Aging: Models for Research and Intervention,
Applied Social Psychology Annual, 1982, 3, 153-180.
Wack, Jeffery T. and Rodin, Judith.
Nursing Homes for the Aged: The Human Consequences
of Legislation-Shaped Environments, Journal of Social Issues,
1978, 34, 6-21.
- Excerpt appearing in Psychology Today, July 1979.
- Reprinted in V. Barry (Ed.), Moral Aspects of Health
Care, Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, 1982.
Reviewer for Journal of Consumer Marketing, Journal of
Business Forecasting, Journal of Services Marketing, and
several psychology journals.
Professional Articles and
In collaboration with writers at Consumer Reports, several
dozen consumer research-based articles, including cover
- Commercial Weight Loss Programs (1994)
- Health Maintenance Organizations (1993)
- Condoms (1992)
- Mail Order Catalog Services (1987)
- Household Finances and Budgeting (1986)
- Auto Insurance (1985)
- Fast Food Restaurants (1984)
- Personal Computers (1983)
Survey research projects for Consumer Reports Travel Letter
and Consumer Reports on Health, results of which have been
cited in New York Times, USA Today, other media.
"Strategies for Encouraging the Adoption of Marketing
Practices and Skills," National Association of Independent
Schools' Marketing and Admissions Newsletter, Spring 1998.
"Is Your Marketing Effective," Inside Private
School Management, Vol 1(9), 1997.
In addition, numerous proprietary reports on marketing
and research projects.
Selected Seminars, Lectures,
- Keynote Addresses:
Connecticut Association of Independent Schools Trustees
2009; Ohio Association of Independent Schools Admission
Workshop 2008; Virginia Association of Independent Schools
Heads Conference 2007.
- The Business of Independent Schools Institute, Producer
and Faculty, University of Chicago 2005, Harvard 2006-8
- Marketing and Advancement Institute for Independent
Schools, Producer and Faculty,
Airlie VA 1996;
Denver 1997, Charleston 1998, Scottsdale 1999, New Orleans 2000,
Savannah 2001, San Antonio 2002, Santa Fe 2003, Charleston 2004, San
Francisco 2005, Annapolis 2006, San Antonio 2007, Savannah 2008, New
York City 2009, Harvard 2010, Orlando 2011, Annapolis 2012.
- What Trustees and Heads Should Know about Marketing
(invited workshop), National Association of Independent
Schools, Boston 2006
- Drivers of Demand for Independent Schools, Keynote
for Connecticut Association of Independent Schools, Hamden
- Marketing Concept for Schools, Keynote for New York
Association of Independent Schools, 2006
- The Role of Market Research in Development, Ivy-Stanford-MIT
Development Conference 2006.
- What Business Officers Should Know about Marketing,
Keynote for ABOIS, Boston 2005
- Collaborative Marketing: A Marketing Management Model
for Schools, Invited Presentation, Council for the Advancement
of Secondary Education Annual Conference, Washington DC
- Drivers of Demand for Private Schooling, Invited Presentation,
Association of Independent Schools of Greater Washington
- Marketing as Schools Should Practice It, National Association
of Independent Schools, Annual Conference, Boston 2001.
- Public's Perceptions of Independent and Public Schools:
The NAIS Opinion Poll, Association of Independent Schools
of New England (AISNE), and Pennsylvania Association of
Independent Schools (PAIS), 2000.
- Marketing Academy for Boarding Schools, TABS, Washington
- Surveys and Focus Groups in Support of Development and
Fundraising, Invited Address, Council on Foundations Annual
Conference, Milwaukee 2000.
- Marketing Workshop for School Leaders, National Association
of Independent Schools Annual Conference, New York City,
- Market Research Techniques for University Planners,
Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE),
Boston, Chicago 1997.
- Market Research and Planning for nonprofits, Seminar,
Council for the Advancement of Secondary Education, New
- The Public's View of Managed Care, Invited Address,
Annual Health Care Conference, Blue Cross & Blue Shield
and the University of Connecticut, North Haven, 1996.
- Customer-Focused Market Planning, Invited Address, Council
on Foundations Advancement Institute, San Diego, 1996.
- Marketing: What It Isn't, Invited Presentation, NAIS
Regional Directors Conference, Santa Fe 1994; also presented
to Virginia Association of Independent Schools,
1995; Maryland Association of Independent Schools, 1995.
- Marketing's Contributions to Traditional Development
and Fundraising, Invited Address, Council on Foundations,
- What Marketing Has to Offer the nonprofit's Development
Efforts, Keynote Speaker, Council for the Advancement
and Support of Education, Williamsburg, 1993.
- Research-Based Strategies for Creating and Maintaining
Image, Council for the Advancement and Support of Education,
Washington, DC, Boston/Chicago, 1991- 93 (Participant-voted
awards for teaching excellence).
- Customer Service Management Strategies for the Public
Sector, State of Connecticut Senior Management Training,
- Consumer Research Techniques Seminars, Chamber of Commerce
of the United States' Centers for Leadership Development,
San Jose/Boulder/Dallas/Athens/Newark/ South Bend, 1985-87.
- Multivariate Comparison of Health Professionals' Cognitions
of Pain Behaviors. Behavioral Medicine Annual Convention,
- Developing a Classificatory System of Strategies for
Coping with Pain. Invited Address, 59th Annual of the
International Association for Dental Research, Chicago,
- Latent Structure in Strategies for Coping with Pain.
American Pain Society Convention, New York, 1980.
- Human Consequences of Legislation-Shaped Environments.
American Psychological Association Annual Convention,
New York, 1979.